Measure the Machine: An Intro to Tech Tracking


How do you measure progress?

Some athletes bask in the mental satisfaction of a good workout, while others value a noticeable physical change that aligns with their training goals.  It may be the ability to gut out that last mile or simply feel a little less like curling into a ball on the sidewalk during a tough day on a familiar route. They're all signs of progress and, like the one good golf shot that keeps an amateur coming back to the course, add to the promise of future achievement.

I've gone through a few phases in the decade spent competing, mostly running from point A to B, and my goals have often matched the need to measure progress.  When I first started, I wanted to lose weight, so I'd jump on the scale after weeks of running.  If I needed to get faster, I'd run the same routes and check my p
hone at start and finish.  And as I was training for the Philadelphia Marathon, I logged my miles and pace in the Nike Run app while carrying my phone.

Chances are, if you've ever trained for an organized race, you've employed a variation of what I characterized above.  Progress is validation that effort isn't wasted and we need encouragement to continue to climb the mountain that we've eagerly placed in our path.  However, as the ascent becomes steeper and the degree of difficulty is maximized, measuring progress needs to become a more exact science.

From the moment I set off down the triathlon path, I knew wearable technology would need to be a part of the equation.  I wasn't sure where to begin and actually reverted to 'training by feel', which is acceptable for casual workouts but unsustainable in the long term.  My first triathlon was run entirely without any sort of timer, forcing me to rely on the clocks placed sparsely around the course.  

Eventually, I caved and pulled the trigger on a few pieces of technology, all of which I'll highlight in the coming months.  Today, we'll keep it simple and touch on a few pieces that can benefit everyone training for any kind of race with their health in mind - the sport watch and heart rate monitor.

Keeping Track of More Than Time

It's easy to swim, bike, or run while hoping to improve through regular training and a variation of challenges.  For months, I counted laps, miles, minutes, and seconds at the start and finish of each workout, approximating I'd gained some fitness along the way.  The moment I introduced the Garmin Forerunner 920XT into training, I felt as though I'd gained a coach and motivator.

This particular model, priced under $300, has a built in GPS tracker and can be used in all three legs of a triathlon.  The device transmits data in real-time to your smartphone and stores all of your workouts with detailed splits defined by the user.  In addition to displaying time, tracking sleep, and logging steps, the watch can display messages via Bluetooth as they come through your phone.

The largest advantage comes in the form of feedback during training.  Being able to track your pace, interval speeds, and total time make more of difference than I can describe.  The GPS feature follows you to perfection and removes the guesswork that accompanies route mapping before you leave the house. 

Matters of the Heart, Matter

If knowing your time and distance on the road or in the pool boosts your training, turning your heart into your body's broadcast system is the ultimate cheat code.  I ordered the Garmin Tri-HRM to pair with my watch as the next step in understanding how the body responds to training and, quite frankly, it's the best fitness investment I've ever made.

The thin black strap sits just below the chest and answers every question you've ever had about your own performance.  Knowing how the heart reacts to changes in distance and speed is the key to
unlocking effective training strategy, maintaining healthy endurance habits, and avoiding wasteful sessions.  Depending on your choice in technology, you'll also receive feedback in stride length, step efficiency, and balance on either side. 

Most importantly, your heart rate measurement introduces the ability to incorporate Heart Rate Zones into your training, a true road map to building your fitness.  The watch is connected to your heart and notifies you when you're pushing too hard, could be moving faster, and recaps the overall impact of your workout on your cardiovascular goals. Everyone has wondered if they're making progress over the course of the plan - add the HRM to tell you in real-time.

The Gift of Knowledge

I wasn't a believer in wearable tech.  I truly believed I could eyeball training the same way you eyeball the ingredients to your favorite dish or mixed drink.  But if you want your body to perform like a machine, you need to measure it as such.  Knowledge is power, power fuels training, and training is what drives you to reach your goals.  If you have the ability to truly understand how your body works, how could you choose anything else?


Comments