From Minnow to Shark: Learning to Swim


The key to pursuing excellence is to embrace an organic, long-term learning 
process, and not to live in a shell of static, safe mediocrity. Usually, 
growth comes at the expense of previous comfort or safety.

“That’s a long way to swim.”

The most common response when discussing the distances in an upcoming race typically centers on the first leg, and for good reason. Anything over a mile draws a confused stare that reflects the unfamiliarity with the task.  When does anyone really have the opportunity, need, or desire to move that far through the water?

Competitors in an Olympic or Half-Iron distance average 30-45 minutes in the water, fighting to the finish and transition to the bike.  You can double that and then some for the full Ironman 2.4-mile aquatic battle.  It’s a long way and quite a bit of time to spend pulling yourself toward T1.

Where do I Start?

I’m a runner – have been for the last decade and remain very comfortable through the highs and lows that come with racing on dry land.  Prior to May 2017, the water was uncharted territory and my ability to cut from one wall to the other was built upon an unsightly, spastic, ineffective freestyle stroke.  We were starting from square one in the pool with three months until my first mile-long swim in open water.
    
As expected, my first foray into the lanes at Drexel University had me facing a harsh and terrifying reality.  I couldn’t effectively do two laps.  How was I supposed to swim a mile?

It was time to get serious and train with a sense of urgency that I hadn’t yet needed when lifting or running.  Failure to respect the distance and prepare fully would leave me floundering in the Atlantic City bay, sinking toward a DNF or worse.  For a necessary shove into the water and lessons on the most basic of swimming principles, I turned to a great friend and former collegiate swimmer.

We’re Alive…Barely!

Humbling. Challenging. Frustrating.

The first few weeks didn’t offer much encouragement as the race countdown started to become a factor.  I learned to keep my head down and worked to find my breathing rhythm, but swallowed more water and chlorine than I’d care to admit.  Kicking drills led by my coach and form-focused laps had me overthinking each session and hitting the water in pure defeat. 

Going nowhere fast, there were moments when I wanted to quit and return to my comfort zone.  However, it’s important to remember that true growth is nearly always accompanied by discomfort and paralyzing doubt.  Your response to that uncertainty can define you as a person and, in this case, a competitor.

For a month, I swam back and forth with a buoy between my knees to stabilize my hips.  I continued to establish a consistent breathing cadence while trying to calm my motion in times of high stress.  Coping with bad training days filled with poor laps, awkward technique, and the frozen first dip into the water became the norm.

The Eureka Moment has a way of popping up when you need it most, but not before the work is done and patience is running thin.  Just a month and a half before my first race, I slumped into the water and began my warm-up, which at that point was only a 3-5 minute water jog.  Without thinking too deeply, I found myself cruising for fifteen minutes, surfacing only for water and to allow the relief of progress to wash over me.

Become a Shark

From that moment on, the water was clearer, the light at the end of the tunnel seemed brighter, and hope of reaching my goal was restored.  I attacked each lap with a renewed sense of purpose and determination that had faded with perceived failure.  Swimming three to four times a week, I was finally consuming more improvement than pool water and became more confident as race day approached.

Moving to an Olympic-size outdoor pool was my final step and allowed me to get a feel for longer
distances without the safety net of a wall to touch every 25 meters.  Open-water swimming was one mental hurdle I was eager to clear and, in all honestly, I had no apprehension about bobbing around hundreds of yards from the shore.

In my first swim sessions, my coach likened the process to a train chugging along with consistent mechanics and propulsion.  As I continue to write, you’ll notice that I’m enamored with the analogy of being a shark in the water, and not just for aquatic training.  I’m motivated by the need to constantly be moving forward, on the hunt for improvement, miles, and strength.  This was the first time I could feel myself on the offensive, treating the end of the swim as something to chase down.

An Entire Ocean to Conquer

By late summer, I was advancing through the water with a smoother version of the freestyle stroke and breathing bi-laterally.  With practice and attention to detail, the basics that forced me to the brink of giving up had become second nature.  I completed the endurance swim in each race and was satisfied of my splits, but prouder of the effort it took to know I could finish.

As I begin to eyeball the 2.4-mile distance for IronMan Lake Placid, the training swims are now geared toward spend and distance. Warm-ups are 1000-2000m and exercises are 50-300m repeats – a far cry from the first sessions when I barely thrashed my way from one wall to the other.

Getting off the ground was an important victory, but the never-ending chase for perfection has only just begun.  As with anything in the endurance sports world, you are chasing measured improvement each day, and this is no different.  Bettering my form, learning how to efficiently kick, and pushing my speed are the next items on the agenda.

Before wrapping this up, I’d like to give special recognition to my coach, Tori, who watched me struggle through the maddening first steps and continued to encourage me on the toughest days.  Without your help, none of this would be possible.

Whenever you catch yourself saying “I could never do that”, remember that even the greats started from the same Day One that sits on your horizon.  Life is too short to sit fearfully on the sidelines of your own dream, so take the first steps toward your goal and dive right in!

Comments