Ready, Set, Wait!


Imagine you're running the final miles in the race of your life.  It doesn't matter if you're sprinting the last quarter-mile in a 5K fun run, cresting the penultimate hill at full speed on a bike, or willing your way to the marathon finish in front of thousands gathered at the rails.  The euphoria is bubbling as it's mixed with intense relief in a cocktail of personal glory.

But as you reach for the line and the moment you've dreamed about since training began, you are yanked back onto the course and forced to wait.  Life around you keeps moving, but you're stuck staring at the path that completes the plan.

That freeze, the concrete you're standing in as you stare longingly at your goal, is how it feels to taper leading up to the big day.

For some, getting the body ready to perform at its peak level is a relaxing stroll from the second the training plan demands rest.  However, much like the beginning of the journey, the days leading up to race day are different for everyone.
Live look at me tapering

Count me among those who marvel at the athletes coasting through a taper with a smile on their face. As I prepare for the half IronMan in Atlantic City this weekend, I'm champing at the bit to get this thing started.  Think Super Mario Chain Chomp crammed into a tiny 
apartment with a laundry list of prep work in front of him.

The body welcomes the slowdown, but the mind goes into overdrive.  Yes, short workouts to keep the muscles moving allow you to hit the start of the race without soreness for the first time in months.  And sure, a little extra sleep combined with precise nutrition is a refreshing change.  But the mental game, for me at least, is the true test.

Coming down from thousands of adrenaline-filled hours and dealing with pure boredom outside of the normal routine, I feel a little adrift.  It's a slow march to Sunday's 6:50am rolling swim start and I'm filling my time with final equipment preparations, an immense amount of pre-race reading, envisioning worst-case scenarios, and creating the perfect blueprint to accomplish my sub-6:00 goal.

At this point, it's all about focus and hovering over each detail until I slip into that 'locked-in' feeling. I know it's coming, but it takes a clear head and indelible vision. I'll head down to the expo and check-in on Saturday before making the drive at 4:00am Sunday back to the shore.

I want to be cutting through the water, coasting on the road, and running by the river.  But as the week winds down, all I can do is count the seconds.  

Get me to the line.

Comments