Running, Walking, and Crawling into the Off-Season


In the Athlete's Guide for any IronMan race, it is specifically stated that competitors can 'run, walk, or crawl to the finish'.  If the final part of that doesn't intimidate you upon first reading, you've got far more courage than most.

Over the past month, I've closed out 2017 racing calendar in a big way with a pair of very different races, but it has left me a living embodiment of the third option when it comes to finding the finish.  Fighting through injury, I am very nearly crawling into a much-needed winter off-season, though I'm doing so with a sense of pride and accomplishment that I've never realized over a calendar year.

Following my first two triathlons and breaking into the IronMan scene, I was determined not to lose the fire that drives training and the push to race day.  Fortunately, the last two events on the calendar had been scheduled for nearly six months, so I had all the motivation I needed.

Spartan Beast - Spartanburg, South Carolina

Aptly-named town, I know.  This was my first true foray into the Spartan Race field and I was thrilled to take on the challenge with a great team from all over the country.  The task was a 35-obstacle, 12.4 trail run through the beautiful and intense Carolina terrain, one we faced with the goal of never walking or slowing down.

The Spartan Beast is test of will, stamina, and upper-body strength that's designed to sap your energy with obstacles between stretches of running through the wilderness.  High-walls, A-Frames, weighted carries, rope climbs, monkey bars, rings, and cargo nets are among the challenges that break up a half-marathon distance trek.

Though we began the race as a team, our pace was driven by individual battles within the group.  If a member was on the same obstacle, we worked as a unit to overcome the challenge.  Outside of that, it was on each of us to move as quickly as possible and never to jeopardize finishing time waiting for another.  One hell of a motivator, and it worked like a charm.

Get Some.
Keeping a consistent lifting schedule in my training, I completed 31 of 35 obstacles and was satisfied with my level of strength and conditioning.  Failures were limited to inexperience on the spear throw and a few grip failures toward the end of the race.  My penance was 120 burpees, the last of which was particularly unpleasant with the finish line in clear view.

The footnote (pun sadly intended) to this race is the discomfort I've carried with me from Mile 11 to the very moment I'll publish this report.  As I was in a groove and racing toward the finish, I lost the focus I'd maintained on the uneven trail in the deep woods and rolled my left ankle more severely than I ever have in the past.

For a solid minute, I crawled along the trail unable to even plant my foot to stand.  In the moments after, I questioned my ability to even finish what had been a clean, efficient race.  For the final mile, I hobbled toward the line at a decent pace and allowed adrenaline to carry me the rest of the way.  Diagnosis was a grade 2 sprain, requiring a two-to-six week recovery.

Overall, the Carolina Beast was an incredible experience that brought out a primal euphoria through physical exertion in the wild.  Adding the strength element into the fold was a welcome change in a year spent training in the three endurance disciplines.  Special thanks to Sean for hosting us in Charlotte and a hearty congratulations to Team Pirate on a hard-fought battle.

Race Time - 3:04:34
Overall Rank - 128/4663

Philadelphia Half-Marathon

If it were any other event at any other point in the year, I would have skipped to heal instead of risking a DNF result.  However, Philly Marathon weekend was the perfect cap to a full, diverse racing year and I was determined to set a half-marathon PR.  Set to cheer on a handful of friends and family during the Sunday 26.2, I suited up to take care of business on Saturday.

Two weeks had elapsed since the brutal ankle roll in South Carolina, so I was prepared to heavily tape my left ankle and face a few hours of discomfort.  When the alarm ripped me from my bed before the race, I went to work immobilizing the left foot to prevent any risk of turning onto the side of the foot.  Crawling dirty through the woods after spending time in the mud is a little more natural than having to do the same down Market Street in Center City, Philadelphia. No thank you.

Drink Some.
KT tape inside of an ankle wrap inside of a brace, jammed into my Brooks - that's what it took to get me to the starting line and, believe it or not, I still felt achy as I settled into the race.  With the PR in mind, I trekked through the first two-thirds of the run, winding through the spectator-lined streets of Philadelphia.  There was no doubt I could secure a sub-1:47 total, but I was chasing a sub-8:00/mi pace as we wound into Fairmount Park for the last four miles.

It was here I realized a critical mistake: Spending so much time on my ankle, I had forgotten to clean my shoes from the last trail run.  For the last few miles, I ran on what felt like a beach of gravel and sand that had shaken loose over the last hour.  Might has well have been glass for how torn up my feet were following the race, but we persevere!

I rounded the final corner hoping I was clocked at sub-8:00/mi, but I fell just short. Still, I was able to establish a new PR for the half-marathon distance and improved a solid 9 minutes from my finish time in February on a very similar course.  It's been a great year.  Thank you to all of the supporters that helped make the last race of 2017 even more memorable!

Race Time - 1:45:36
Race Pace - 8:03/mi

Charging Forward, Body Permitting

The final strides of 2017's schedule were met with extreme relief.  Seven races, over a thousand hours dedicated to training, and learning how to swim and bike from square one have certainly taken it's toll on the body.  While I've taken some time to rest over the last several weeks, I've been careful not to become complacent.  Some respite from the pressure of having to be race-ready has started to reignite the fire needed to embark on a long-term training plan.  

Weightlifting and biking have taken center stage as I let the ankle fully recover before building on a solid running foundation.  Strengthening my legs and shoulders are key short-term goals that will help launch me into IronMan Lake Placid preparation.  The turn of the calendar to 2018 will be my signal to kick it into the next gear.

In the coming weeks, I plan to explore nutrition, race planning, more technology, and even spectating as I settle into a writing cadence.  With this year in the review, I'd like to thank all of those who have helped pushed me forward in ways large and small. Every bit of encouragement means that much more when training days become monotonous, racing turn to pain, and writing time is hard to come by. 

Cheers!

Comments