The Starting Line: An Introduction & Athlete Profile


Well, here we are. A few steps into what I hope to be a long, rewarding journey.

I say 'a few steps' because you're joining me well after the childhood dream of becoming a professional athlete, beyond the collegiate drinking life, and a couple of years into discovering a passion for endurance sports.  It took a lot of training miles, a dozen races, and a newfound love for the time-intensive life of a triathlete for me to realize that each step was worth documenting.

Why? For one, it forces me to log and learn which enables improvement from past successes and failures.  A portion of this blog will be dedicated to weekly training updates - it's the most important part of growth for any athlete.  However, wearable tech accomplishes that for most people, so it's got to be more significant.

The truth is, as self-aggrandizing as it may seem, I want people - couch surfers, fun-runners, amateurs, anyone - to understand with complete conviction that endurance sports competition a choice.  It's not something with which you need to born or a challenge you can't take on without emerging from an incredibly athletic gene pool.

I plodded my way through life with the idea that jogging and exercise was for a special breed of person, and then I made a change.  I started jogging with the thought that a half-marathon or marathon were only options for the naturally gifted, and then I ran harder.  And I finished my first marathon almost certain that 26.2 miles was as far as I could go.

But then I wanted more.

That leaves me six months into my life as an amateur triathlete, and it really is a LIFE.  The preparation, the diet, the training, the recovery, the travel, the races - it's an all-encompassing science that I'm learning each day. So let's add a narrative component - it only feels right.  I'm seeking to motivate and inspire, but if this only serves as a training diary of sorts, I'll be more than grateful later.



This is me.
Without further ado, here's my athlete profile:

Name: Rich       Age: 26     Height: 5'10''    Weight: 178

Race Experience: Half-Marathons, Marathon, Olympic Triathlon

Triathlon Discipline of Choice: Running

Training Style: Two sessions per day - weightlifting in AM, cardio training in PM.

Upcoming Races: IronMan 70.3 Atlantic City, Philadelphia Half-Marathon, IronMan Lake Placid.

Training Tech: Garmin 920XT watch w/ heart monitor.

Goals: Complete an IronMan, continue weightlifting while endurance training, 3:30 marathon finish.




Comments